Machine work alone might be in the $500-$1,000 range, depending on what needs to be done (did one last summer that had over $2,000 in machine work). It’s easy to drop $500 in a set of heads just doing a simple rebuild.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Gary W. Treible
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 3:14 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Engine Work

I'm looking for advise on an engine job.  The engine in my '70 Chevelle is a 327 from a 1967 Corvette (according to the block numbers).  It leaks oil from a number of places (not real bad though), it has very low vacuum, and the block looks like it was painted with a (dirty) brush.

I plan to pull it out of the car as soon as it gets warmer and have it rebuilt.  I've got a copy of "Desktop Dyno" and I would like to pick the components I put back into it (the engine was rebuilt by a previous owner).

My question is what should I expect to pay to have the block cleaned, painted, and re-assembled if I supply the parts (cam shaft, lifters, pistons, etc.).  Are there things I should look out for?

I don't want to screw this up.

Gary