Hi Folks!

Since things have slowed down a little bit I thought I'd use the "lull" to introduce myself.  I'm Mike Thompson, most folks call me "Gunner", and live in Jacksonville, Florida.  The esteemed and erstwhile Clint Hooper turned me on to this list and I've been lurking for a few days, just hanging around enjoying the banter.

I've got some Corvettes but the latest addition to the garage is a '64 Malibu convertible.  The car has been in my family since new.  It was originally bought by a cousin (he was a year older than I) in the summer of 1964 from Central Chevrolet in Atlanta.  Unfortunately Bill died Christmas of 1965 from a brain tumor.  His mom and dad, my favorite aunt and uncle, kept the car all these years, and my aunt drove it about 150,000 miles - but got so worried about having an accident she parked it in her carport in 1989, covered it up, and just let it sit.  About 2 years ago I finally talked her into selling it to me, then pretty much tore it apart, and rebuilt it.  Not that I'm all that swift as a mech, Aaron Scott of South Georgia Corvette did all the serious work, engine, tranny, rear-end, brakes, gas tank... you know the drill.  When i got it home from there a buddy of mine and I did the paint and what little body work needed doing, and did the interior at the same time.  We did out best to match the original white, and the interior is red.  It's a 283, originally a 1 BBL, now it's been bored out .030 over, little more cam, an Elelbrock 4 BBL, and dressed out with some chrome.  I also added some Torqthrust wheels to help out the image a little.  The manual tranny is "3 on the tree" as we used to say, and the top is the "Econo-lift".  Fun car and always draws some waves when I drive it.

If yer ever coming to, or through, Jacksonville (maybe the next Super Bowl?) please gimme a holler.  I'm always up to talk cars.

-= Gunner =-
-= Jacksonville FL =-