we would ride our bikes over the rubber hoses to make the bell ring - gas
was .68 a gallon then.
I'm 44 and I remember when I was a kid gas was .28 a gallon.  Must have been around 1967 or 1968?, since I got .50 a week in allowance for my chores, and I could almost buy two gallons of the 'red' gas for my minibike.  A bunch of us would ride all over on the old fire roads in the woods behind our house.  Dad usually gassed up on Sunday, and you better have been ready with the gas can when he left or you weren't riding that week.  He had a white 64 Impala with a blue interior with that damned speaker cover? with the Impala on it in the middle of the back seat.  It was mighty uncomfortable as I recall.  When you are the youngest you always get stuck in the middle.  Well, by Wednesday the gas was long gone...  B-(

Kurt Ehrhardt
66 Chevelle Malibu
66 Chevelle SS
ACES #1280