I have done several cams that way.  Should be no problem.
----- Original Message -----
From: Rob S.
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 5:27 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 66 Chevelle Cam Swap

I need to change out the cam in my 396.  I basically want to go with a milder, closer to stock cam for better drivability.  Can I do this with the motor in the car?  It appears as though the radiator and grill will have to come out, and since I need to replace the grill anyhow, that’s not too big a deal.  Anything else I should know that would be a con to doing it in the car v. pulling the motor?  Your personal experiences are appreciated!  Thanks.

Rob S.

1966 SS396 Convertible

http://www.geocities.com/rte66ss/