http://www.73-87.com/chevy_ids/scode8.htm has more detailed info, and
IDs this as a 165HP motor from 1974 or 1978.  You should be able to find
a casting date that might help you figure out the year somewhere else on
the block.

It really does not matter what the engine was, unless you think it is
still original.  I would bet that this was a core exchange back when the
owner blew the engine or wanted an upgrade, and then it was rebuilt to
either generic specs and sold cheaply, or built for a customer.  What do
you really have?  You'd have to check the cam, pistons, crank, etc. to
be sure.

What intake and heads do you have?

Brad Waller     ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
'66 Convertible | 327/dead | 4-speed   | Wilwood Brakes | 245/45/16 BFGs
'67 Chevelle    | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | '79 F-Body Brakes