Thanks for responses.  I should clarify.  The body tag on the firewall of
this guys car has a 138177 on it.  His drivers door pillar has a 136177K on
it.  He got dooped and so did the guy he bought from.  I saw this car on
Ebay and brought the inconsistency to his attention as he has offering it
as a Super Sport and not a clone.  He since changed his auction to present
the correct info and now is trying to learn more about the Chevelle
numbering system.

Thanks again for the help,

Krister

                      "Dale McIntosh"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>              To:       "'The Chevelle
Mailing List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      Sent by:                        cc:       (bcc: Krister
Meister/PBU/Nsk-Corp)
                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Fax to:

                      evelles.net                     Subject:  RE: [Chevelle-list]
Frame rail VIN on a '66 and '67

                      03/15/2004 06:23 PM

                      Please respond to The

                      Chevelle Mailing List

There can't be a mismatch on the VIN in the locations you mention, IF you
mean by the firewall the body number plate (trim/cowl tag).  That is NOT a
VIN (vehicle identification number).  What's on the a-pillar is the LEGAL
VIN of the car.  If it's been changed, then there's a problem.  The
trim/cowl tag (more accurately known as the Fisher Body plate) will give
you
the model (136xx - and usually matching the first five numbers on the VIN
plate), trim, plant, paint, and a number known as the Fisher Body unit
number - usually following the assembly plant.  This number has nothing to
do with the VIN.  Here
(http://www.chevellestuff.com/67stuff/67velle/tags/vin_atl14.jpg) is an
example of the VIN plate on the a-pillar.  Here
(http://www.chevellestuff.com/67stuff/67velle/67_trim_tags-atl1.htm) are
numerous example of body number plates for the same assembly plant -
Atlanta
in this case.

There are places on the frame (supposedly hidden) that have the VIN stamped
on it.  I've heard of the VIN also being stamped behind the heater cover on
the firewall as well as on the right-rear quarter panel, just under the
weatherstripping (or close to it) towards the top right as you look at the
open trunk.

Dale McIntosh

One month FREE spam protection at http://www.cloudmark.com/spamnetsig/