Title: Message
John, I can echo most of what Herb said. The wiper conversion from Detriot Speed may be the best $300. I have spent on my car. This year I didn't drive my Elky, but my newly built 421 Tripower Tempest Custom Conv. I did find many small items in need of improvement. Only driving a car a distance will bring these things to light. And Herb, when did you ever slow down to eighty, other than for traffic and stop lights? My Tempest has a 700R4 and 3.55 gears. At 90 I am taching around 2400 RPM. At the fastest I saw 3,000 in overdrive. Any guesses as to the MPH? I was disappointed not to get a chance to see Clint's car. There is just so much going on and so many cars. My trip was slightly longer than Herb's at 4,420 miles and I used 340 gallons of fuel with about the same MPG as Herb. The car took a little wear and tear, but they are built to drive and drive them I will.
Mike Holleman
----- Original Message -----
From: Herb Lumpp
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 6:26 AM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-list] Power Tour

Hi John,

The Tour went fine.  There were a couple little glitches along the way, but each was an easy fix.  Just like last year, the weather pretty much sucked most of the time.  This time Mike and I were prepared for the rain - we both had a Detroit Speed & Engineering 7 speed wiper motor in out cars.  Other than the noise and vibration, it felt like I was in a new car when the wipers were running!

Yes we did meet up with Clint, however, I never got to see his Elky.  : (

If time and money allow, I highly recommend everyone do this trip at least once.  Not only will you have a great time and meet a lot of great people, the Tour will definately put a spot light on your car's weak points.  Personally, I think if people just drive (or trailer) their cars to local shows and cruises, they'll never truly get the bugs worked out.  Last year I thought the Elky was good to go, but after the Tour, I made a lot of changes to improve its road worthiness.  This year, those improvements made the drive a lot more enjoyable, but I did find a couple more items that need attention.  My car may not be as pretty as it used to be, but I know I can turn the key and hit the road any time I feel like it without worrying about making it to my destination!

For those of you into stats, I drove 4021 miles, used 312.45 gallons of gas, which cost $634, and I averaged 12.87 mpg.  That's not too bad considering we drove 80 + mph most of the time and there was a lot of stop & go driving once we got to the venues.

Herb Lumpp
http://users.adelphia.net/~hlump/index.htm