Of your couple questions, the only one I know for sure is that the 2 letter code is a
paint or ink stamping.  Its NOT into the metal, just like a stencil on (I believe) the
bottom cover.  Honestly I've never actually found a stamping that was readable, but
I've only looked at half a dozen or so steering boxes.

rick schaefer

-- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> From: "rick schaefer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
One thing about the Camaro steering box.  I don't believe that it is the best choice
for you.  As I understand things, the internal stops of the camaro box will limit your
turning radius.  You will not be able to make a sharp turn, in or out of a parking
space or tight corner.  I know from experience :) .
> >From what I've read at the suspension & brake forum at Chevelle Tech, a better
> >choice would be the box from either a 85-87 or so Monte Carlo SS (hard to find) or
> >a 94-99 (or so) Jeep Grand Cherokee.  If you go here:
> >http://www.chevelles.com/techref/index.html and read Jim Sheas info (hes a GM
> >chassis engineer), he explains why a whole lot better than I can.<<

Rick,
Thanks for the link.
Not sure I'd seen the gearbox chart before.
(never would have guessed Jeep!)
I bought what I was told was a 74 Trans-Am box to put in my 64.
It seemed to work ok.
I had those 245/50R16 T/A's on all four wheels so if it did limit the turn angle that
might have been a good thing; accidental engineering. : )
Is that letter code metal stamped or was that an ink stamp on end cover? I painted it
so not sure where to look on box.
How does one decide for sure if it's a variable ratio box? It's out of car in a box at
the moment.
I guess everyone knows you're supposed to use the Chevelle power steering pitman arm
when you do these swaps.
(fun fact: 64's had 4 different arms - 2 for manual and 2 for PS boxes - ID'd by the
center link diameter, 13/16 or 7/8")

Pete Geurds
Douglassville, PA