Dan,
Here is a reply from a post on Team Chevelle in 1999
from someone who did the same thing.

Starting in 1968, when side-marker lights were
introduced, the parking lights remained on when the
headlights were switched on. Prior to that model year,
the parking lights switched off when the headlights
were switched on. I believe this pertains to all GM
vehicles.
I own a 67 SS396 Chevelle, and found an easy way to
change this without adding anything or cutting any
wiring (and its completely reversible). The hardest
part, especially on a 66-67 Chevelle (with A/C yet),
is removing the light switch from the dash.

Play it safe, and disconnect the battery first. Then
disconnect the light switch from the dash, and drop it
down below the edge of the dash. Before you unplug the
wiring harness from the switch, look at the position
of the purple wire in the connector. It will be in a
slot which is at the end of the switch, farthest from
the dash. Look for an open slot in the conector which
is at the other end of the connector, towards the
dash. Remove the connector from the light switch, and
then release the terminal of the purple wire from the
connector using a small screwdriver (you do this from
the light switch side of the connector). Insert the
terminal of the purple wire into the open slot of the
connector which you identified earlier (the one closer
to the dash). Then just reconnect the wiring harness
to the light switch, and reinstall the light switch
into the dash, and reconnect the battery. Now the
parking lights will function as before in the halfway
position, but remain on when the headlights are
switched on.

I did this two years ago on my Chevelle and on a 65
Impala, and haven't had any problems from it. I don't
remember if there are any numbers on the slots in the
connector, or if there was more than one open slot.

Rocky

=====
A Man And His Chevelle,
It's A Beautiful Thing!!