Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 10:47 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] making up for it....

I decided that the aftermarket serpentine systems was out of my
league...and maybe a matter of opinion....way overpriced, since it has
gone up by hundreds of dollars since they first came out.

It was suggested to me to look into a Chevy Truck 454 serpentine system
for my 396 big block. I found the local dealer had the brackets in stock
and I got them for a discount since they had been on the shelf for a
while. Picked up the crank pulley and power steering pulley as well. Had
to go with an aftermarket water pump pulley to get a grooved one. See
below on why.

These mounting brackets do NOT look near as pretty as the aftermarket
aluminum systems. However, it did two other things for me that I wanted
as well:

#1, It allowed me to put my alternator on the driver's side to mount the
A/C compressor on the passenger side and shorten the lines and neaten up
the look of A/C compressor mounting.

#2 I had read that when you turn a water pump backwards that you lose
about 20% cooling efficiency. Having a big block with A/C and knowing I
would be in long lines on hot days.... cooling was priority #1 !!!
But..I still wanted to go serpentine. OK, I'm hard headed...here's where
the Scandinavian part comes in ;)

The steel brackets allowed me to weld on a mount to put on an idler
wheel on the driver's side of the water pump pulley. This allowed me to
double back the belt, after going over the crank pulley and water pump
pulley, to go to the A/C compressor.

I have a link to a picture of the system as I was putting it together.
It gives the best view of the pulley and water pump. I'll post another
pic of the final product.

http://home.earthlink.net/~csmartin33/images/engine%20drivers%20side.jpg

                                    Steve