Hi Dale  are you saying that theres no letter in the vin that states the
engine displacement on a 72 vin tag? not sure if i read this right   thanks
Ken
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale McIntosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] vin #numbers

> Actually, this is true only for 69 to 72 (with one exception).  On 64-68
Chevelles, the VIN would indicate a SS or not since the SS was a separate
model in those years.

> The one exception is the 72 Chevelle/Elky with a 454 engine code ("W") in
the VIN.  The 454 could ONLY be had with the SS option.  Other engines
(350-2, 350-4, 402-4) could be had with the SS option but nothing would
indicate it.  They could also be ordered without the SS option.

> The VIN plate will tell you 4 things and 4 things only.
> 1. Model (e.g., Malibu hardtop, 300 sedan, wagon, elky, etc).
> 2. The model year of the car.
> 3. The final assembly plant.
> 4. The sequential production number of Chevelles at that particular plant.
> 5. In 1972, the VIN would also indicate the engine size installed.
>
> The Body Plate (trim tag or firewall tag) will tell you the approx
assembly timeframe, interior trim level, interior color/fabric, lower and
upper paint colors, and for 64-67 (some plants) options, and a couple more
minor items.

> You might check the machined pad in front of the passenger side head.  It
should have the engine suffix code and assembly date, plus it should have a
portion of the VIN such as 0A123456 where "123456" would match the VIN on
the car.  This match would mean an original-to-the-car engine and if it's a
big block then the car would be a SS for 1970 since the big blocks in 69 and
70 meant the SS option was ordered.