> From: "Dale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>I used a Ford solenoid on my 67 for years and got the *kit* from Summit.  They
>supplied a copper strap to go between the posts but I would guess a good 8 or 10 ga
>wire might suffice.  I never ran without that jumper strap so I can't attest to the
>what problems there would be without it.<

You need the wire to the "S" terminal to activate the solenoid and drive the gear into
the flywheel/flexplate and also close the circuit between battery and starter motor.
This Ford "solenoid" (it's not you know-just a big relay)seems like overkill.
I've used starter relays from 70's Chrysler products to bypass the suspicious wiring
in the harness and make sure the solenoid always kicked in when hot. These look much
like horn relays. Original wiring just has to activate relay which has a short path
using #10 wire to jumper from battery cable to "S" terminal. Functions like lower
drawing:
http://www.chevellestuff.com/tech/ford_solenoid.htm
 I think I like this better as heavy cable from battery to starter remains intact.

Pete Geurds
Douglassville, PA
I used a Ford solenoid on my 67 for years and got the *kit* from Summit.  They supplied a copper strap to go between the posts but I would guess a good 8 or 10 ga wire might suffice.  I never ran without that jumper strap so I can't attest to the what problems there would be without it.

I tapped into one of the wires from the wiper motor for my electric choke.  I don't remember which it was but a test probe light will show which is hot *only* when the ignition is on.

Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709/NECOA #41
DalesPlace  My 67 El Camino
ChevelleStuff  Decoding info on 64-72 Chevelles
MidwestChevelles  Midwest Chevelle Show Information

One month FREE spam protection at www.cloudmark.com
Cloudmark SpamNet - Join the fight against spam!