Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 10:12 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Extra gas

Any opinions about my practice of carrying an extra gallon of gas in
the trunk, in one of those red hard plastic containers?

I know it's possible to explode the gas in the tank by having a
static electric charge on yurself when you go to handle the fill
pipe at the gas station. What about static electricity building up
in the container in the trunk?

If you can build up static electricity by sliding around on a
cloth-covered car seat, or running a comb thru your hair, why
couldnt it build up inside the container? (I know next to nothing
about electricity.)

PS I've been carrying extra gas, either in the trunk or on the bed
of a pickup truck, for 30 years, and am still alive to write this.
However . . .