Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 2:38 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-list] Splice or Solder

The biggest problem with soldering is the person holding the iron/gun
whatever
USUALLY. Most folks just have no experience in soldering. Your comment about
a solder joint needing to have mechanical integrity is absolutely correct.
It is the
first step to a good joint. The next step is to get proper heating of
both/all elements
to be soldered and then apply the solder to the joint. It is not correct to
apply the
soldering tool to the solder to get it to melt. It is correct to apply the
solder to the
hot joint and have it melt evenly over the joint.
Also electrical soldering has no resemblance to body soldering or Acid Core
type soldering.
Once a joint is properly executed it should still be covered in a means to
protect it
from the elements that can and will cause oxidation.

Crimp joints are just like solder joints. Using the right tools and
techniques is the key to
having good crimp joints. And as with a solder joint it also requires
attention after the
fact to protect it from the elements.

You can go either way as long as the joint is properly done be it solder or
crimp. I use
both ways but generally lean towards soldering. However in a vehicle I
usually lean towards
crimp and other compression joints. It's just easier than soldering a
connection under a dash
and having molten solder drip on your nose.

Yeah, I know I am gonna get hammered on this one because everyone has an
opinion that
has to be one way or the other.

Hey! Merry Christmas    while I'm at it.

K0AZ
Michael D. Sanders
18169 Highway 174
MT Vernon, MO 65712