Thanks Rick and Mike for your advice. I'm going to try a TIG weld repair. If that doesn't go as I hope, I think I will pull the engine and put it on a stand. I never like working under the car when I'm trying to finesse the pan gasket etc.

Fred

On Mar 29, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Rick Schaefer wrote:

I don't know nuthin but what I've read, but it seems the consensus has
been to pull the motor.     If you do try to swap it with the motor
in-place,  try to rotate the engine so that the front crank throws are
up.   Gives you a little more clearance at the crossmember.  I once
ventured a guess as to what cylinder was firing when the front throws
are up ; and was completely wrong.  I'm sure someone on the list knows
for certain.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:22:01 -0500, Mike Holleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Fred, Either pan is fine, just be sure that if you go with a non stock pan,
you change to the correct oil pump pickup. I have never had much luck
pulling oil pans on the car. It has always been much better for me to pull
the engine and work from a engine stand.
Good luck.
Mike Holleman
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Dowaliby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 3:51 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] BBC oil pans

Hi Folks,

Well, as I started my ('68 Chevelle based) truck up I was pleased to
see that the (new conversion) power steering worked fine, did not leak,
and did not make noise.

However, the pool of fluid directly under the bellhousing did get my
attention. Turns out the oil dipstick flange on the side of the pan was
leaking like a sieve. Time for a new pan.

This is for a '68 Chevelle-based street rod with a 454 engine and TH400
tranny.

My first concern is the  cross member. Should I lift the engine a few
inches or should I remove the tranny to slide out  the old pan and
insert the new one? Either way is going to be a lot of work for a
seemingly simple problem. If only that crossmember wasn't under the
pan.

Secondly, what pan will fit? I am looking at the Milidon and Moroso
replacement pans but would like to further upgrade since I am replacing
anyway. I am also concerned with clearances.

Thanks in advance. I  appreciate any advice,

Fred Dowaliby

--
Rick Schaefer
72 TPI El Camino