In a message dated 5/1/2005 4:31:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hey guys,

            I recently picked up 2 396 blocks to go have checked out at a machine shop.  They both are 3999290 castings with suffix codes CTB.  Works out to be a 1972 402 in a Chevelle, impala, or one other I cant remember.  Anyway, I was wonder what your thoughts might be on whether or not its worth buying one of them.  Iâve heard blocks after 1970 or 71 have a lower level of nickel and crack easier?  Is it worth having the machine work done to one and build up an engine with it or should I look for an earlier block?  Thanks âRJ

I've used newer blocks than that for high performance applications, both have held up good so far.  If it's the right price grab it, big blocks are getting more and more scarce.

Tom