Glad to help. Holler if you need me. I really had fun in the car audio competition world in the 90's but like NHRA in the 60's vs now it is now longer do it yourself but how much money you want to spend. ( I read that Kenny Bernstein's - or was it John's Force's - crew chief's salary several years ago was $500,000 ) I quit competing in car audio when I saw a 17 year old kid and his parents who had just flown in from out of the state, came to a IASCA regional meet to take delivery of his all pro-built comp car with an unreal sound system in it, pull the car into the Novice line and blew everyone away. He had not done a thing on his own. 100% Check Car. Was time to find a new hobby. Still enjoy the super high end car audio but just to enjoy. Neon and motorized amp racks never really helped the sound anyway.

But the best way to hear Hendrix over Flowmaster Super 40's is about 1,000+ legal clean watts, really good speakers in good enclosures and a nice stretch of road.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Shouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Speaker setups and package tray.

Great stuff Scott. I'll have to save your email for reference...

Larry Shouse
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Somers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 5:01 PM

Kick panels are the best without getting into radical floor panel modifications ( which are way cool ) because of equalization of the sound path - critical stuff . When speakers and the electronics are dialed in and you play a high quality recording and close your eyes ( obviously while not driving ) it is just plain spooky. You can "see" the placement of all the members of the band. Same thing with higher end home audio. The location of the speakers disappear.

I played with waveguides ( horns ) in the mid 90's but they are wierd and very tricky. Stay with kicks if possible and use good speakers from good companies like Focal ( about $400 per pair, Quart, and others. It sound funny but there is what we called an east coast sound - crisp and detailed ( Quart ) and a west coast sound - warmer ( Focal) . Just go with what sounds good to you BUT don't push too much bass through smaller speakers and get the best amp you can reasonably afford. ( Tube and hybrid tube amps were fun too but harmonics were a bear..not sure that you can still even get hem ) Too little power is not good for speakers. Crappy amp will trash good speakers. I was really onto Hendrix but distortion is distortion ( you may quote me on that )

If you have good kick panel systems made and can seal and use the chamber behind them you got a good start to some nice midbass. Mine were actually built into the area behine the kickpanels and teh panels acted like speaker covers. Aim the tweeter and if possible the mid range at the dome light. If ya got the desire a coaxial, a 5 1/4" ( which is more musical than a 6 1/2 but won't carry the midbass as well - size matters) coaxial (tilted) as close to the junction of the kickpanel and the floor and a 6 1/2" or 7" in the door as far forward as possible can easily get you down to 65hz and then let the subs take over. The human ear cannot tell the direction of true low bass because the wave length is so long but it can find direction of the higher frequency rattle that bad mounting of a speaker or panel flop can produce.

On my Chevelle, I was taking a "lot simplier for now and change it later" approach - no comp audio show point stuff this time - car audio is way over the top now, check out anything by the Fishman. I'll find a picture. But, like the engine, the best stuff can't be seen. I mounted the amp, crossovers ( passive on this car) and EQT's on a panel on the back wall. Not high end at all but I just wanted some sounds and was going to maybe "wierd it out" later this year. No purple neon inside the amp racks this time. Oh, well, them was the 90's.

Did I mention Dynamat. If you can't get to an area to mat it, pink panther stuff shoved in will deaden it pretty good too. My comp car sounded like a tomb. At one point the front windows would not roll down because of the insulation but I changed my mind, pulled the panther stuff and did a couple more layers of Dynamat ( I was getting a discount by then ) I beefed up the package tray with MDF and more dynamat. Thing did NOT rattle. Actually, that car did not rattle.

Have a ball - it can be a cool side hobby.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2005 3:13 PM

I'm interested in learning about kick panel speaker installations as well. I know Custom Auto Sound sells modified kick panels with speakers installed, but I've read on Team Chevelle that the speaker quality sucks, even the upgrade they offer.

Has anyone ever custom built some kick panels themselves? I'm sure there are some custom interior shops around that could make them, but that would probably be expensive.

Scott, I'd like to see the pics of the set up in your '68 if you don't mind sending them over.

Thanks,
Matt