Geesus!

I thought the Swedish bureaucrats where bad ;-)

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 11:36 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] IL bill to ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems

Any IL Chevelle people I encourage you to call the senators listed below
and pass this on.  It is very easy - call, they ask name, city and just
tell them you oppose - simple as that.  They are trying to pass a bill  "no
aftermarket exhaust systems"  for our cars.  I just saw this posted our
clubs website and would like to pass this on.

Thank you,

Krister

                SEMA ALERT: Immediate Attention Required

Illinois Bill to Ban Aftermarket Exhaust Systems on the Move

A bill (H.B. 2221) to ban vehicles equipped with a "muffler or exhaust
system that clearly has been modified to amplify or increase the noise of
the vehicle" was introduced at the last minute and is moving through the
Illinois Legislature at breakneck speed. Under the bill, vehicles
determined to have been modified by virtue of a "visual observation" will
fail emissions inspection.

Time is of the Essence! We Urge You to Call or Fax Members of the Senate
Environment and Energy Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose H.B.
2221

This Bill:

** ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make
vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

** does not supply emissions inspectors with a clear standard to enforce
(e.g. decibel limit under a sound test procedure),
allowing them to make subjective judgments based on "visual observations"
on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in
violation.

** fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased
performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to
merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

** would make it impossible for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust
systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call or fax (no e-mail addresses available) members of the Senate
Environment and Energy Committee immediately to oppose H.B. 2221. This
bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Illinois.

Illinois Senate Environment and Energy Committee

James F. Clayborne, Jr. Antonio Munoz William R.
Haine Don Harmon
(217) 782-5399 217-782-9415
217-782-5247 217-782-8176
(618) 274-3010 FAX 773-869-9046 FAX
618-465-4816 FAX 708-848-2022 FAX

Rickey R. Hendon Mike Jacobs
Donne E. Trotter Dave Sullivan
(217) 782-6252
217-782-5957 217-782-3201
217-782-3875
(773) 265-8617
FAX
773-933-5498 FAX 847-734-0036 FAX

Kirk W. Dillard Steve Rauschenberger Peter
Roskam Dan Rutherford
(217) 782-8148
217-782-7746 217-782-8022
217-782-6597