Thanks Pete
----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "The Chevelle Mailing List" <Chevelle-list@chevelles.net>; <Chevelle-list@chevelles.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 65 Rear Tire size

From: Larry Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 65 Rear Tire size

I know this has been discussed, but I just can't remember. My 65 SS has 225 14 70S BFGs on the rear. I need a tire that is wider and STICKS. Ever since I finished the mods to the BB it has way too much power for the rears. What a problem too have! I do not want to go taller. I am using classic Cragers, and plan to go to Stockton Wheel in Calif for a wider offset rim. So what's out there - what do you guys use?

Larry Williams

My 64 wagon has a 265/50-15 T/A radial.
Mounted on a 15x8" steel wheel w/ 5" backspace by Wheel Vintiques.
I was worried I wouldn't clear a 275. It might have with minor work.
The 64 beater had a 245/50-16 on a 16x8"w/4 3/4" BS
American Racing copy of an 80's TransAm rim.
It was tight in the rear 1/3 of fenderlip probably due to sloppy qtr panel replacement, but maybe I was feeling that lack of a 1/4" of BS. Some minor violence with a hammer made it clear.
I'll have to try those wheels on the unaltered 4 dr and see how it looks.
Most forums it usually comes down to 5" backspace for
64 and 65 Chevelles.
Some wheels don't come that way, some do by special order.
Check out some cruise nights or shows and see what other cars have on and ask what they did to get them on.
I rarely pass a 64 or 65 without checking the tire size!
Personally I'm not into jacking up the car or torching a semi circle in the qtr panel to get the wheels on. I see the old Minilite style wheels are making a comeback but haven't looked into it too hard. They looked good on old Trans Am Camaros, I think they'd work on a early Chevelle too.

Pete Geurds
Douglassville, PA