Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Vortec heads

I looked hard at a pair of L98 Vette heads for my car. However,they have
such small 58cc chambers that keeping the compression under control (and the
attendant detonation problems) as well as their angle-plugs sometimes
requiring new headers,sent me off in another direction. A good dual plane
intake like an Edelbrock Performer RPM/AirGap or Weiand Stealth will make a bunch more low & midrange torque than a Torker II and will probably outpower
it on top end,too. What kind of advance curve and fuel do you run in that
383,Gene? Any problems keeping it from rattling on pump gas? What gearing
are you running?
I'm trying to buy a pair of mildly-reworked Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
and a LPE hydraulic roller set-up for my 350 now.
Clint Hooper
H&H Custom,owner
1969 El Camino ProTourer
2001 H-D FLHR custom bagger
http://dalesplace.com/misc/friends/clint/clint_hooper.htm
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene's General Restoration Parts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,
I have always heard that big valves really only help over 6000 RPM or so, if this is a street engine and the old valves are still servicable I would stick to them. Spend the money in other areas. A fast responding engine is
better on the street.

 My 383 is running the early 90's vette aluminum heads with the stock
valves
and it runs great. Of course compression on the high end of 11:1 (keep
that
quench hieght tight!) helps along with six inch rods. The vette heads are
nice because they will take a regular intake, and for my money a Torker 2
and a dialed in Carter AFB is better than a dual plane any day.

 I am planning my next 388 (.060 over block) around 5.7 rods and vortec's
which will be small valved with .100 longer stems for added lift
capability.
It won't be as built as the aluminum head engine, so if it puts out 400 HP
will be happy with it, dual plane and all...

Just my 2 cents...

Gene