Just to let you guys know I finally found the miss at WOT.  I replaced plugs, points, condenser, rotor and cap and still no success.  Then I repalaced the coil and the miss is gone.  Put the original Quadrajet back on, set the timing by ear and now she runs great -- no miss , no ping.

Thanks for all your help............

tony
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 1:19 PM
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-list] Miss at WOT ???

Is this an electronic ignition or a points distributor? Are we talking about a WOT condition at lower RPMs or at high RPMs?

The points used to "float" at high rpm's. The distributor lobe is basically hitting the points rubbing block so fast that there is no time to close and therefore trigger the coil to make a spark. That's why racers went to dual point distributors and magnetos.

I'm not that familiar with Holley's but it's possible or "over carb" an engine. Are you sure you have the right size for the engine and not some racing monster?

Usually timing would be what I checked first, and sometimes they like to be more advanced than factory specs in order to run at highest performance. If you haven't tried it yet, advance it until it begins to stumble, then back off a few degrees, (this will usually be where the engine idles the fastest and smoothest ) then tighten it down and take it for a test drive.

                                                                       Steve