Walt,  thanks for the direction.

Fred

On Jun 27, 2005, at 3:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've used all kinda sizes/brands on cars over the years.  BG and
Holley's have worked well.  I only had one bad out of the box(holley
Dominator that summit swapped out at no charge).  The only carb that
didn't work extremely well was a predator...looked cool but I couldn't
get it tuned properly.  Every carb comes with a disclaimer "some
tuning required" will be located somewhere on the packaging or sales
material.

smaller carbs will have better signal and drive-ability but a well
tuned big carb may provide more power.  I loved running 11's with my
700holley DP..most streetable carb I ever owned.  Next best carb was a
Carb Shop modded 850....

Check the timing, tune,jetting, and plugs.  Make sure there isn't any
dirt in the air bleeds as well.
Walt
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~wbainey/CHEVELLE.htm

----- Original Message -----
From: mike f <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, June 27, 2005 10:24 am
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 454 carbs

Fred, may I suggest you send the carb, whatever you
have, to the carb shop in California? Include all your
specific engine/drive train information, weight and
such and have them "flow" the carb. At least you will
know the problem is not the carb after that.
Hope this helps
mike

--- Fred Dowaliby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks to all for your input. I still don't know
what I will do, but
I'm going to begin by checking out other settings
which might affect
performance, like timing.

Thanks,

Fred