Hey RJ et al,

I never felt like my 325 HP 396 had any real power even
with it's 4 speed m-20 and 3.08 posi rear.  I saved/dreamed
of aluminum heads.  I WAS going to go with stock date
coded factory aluminum heads but many people told me
that they can be difficult to find parts for and they would
NEVER flow like a modern set of aluminum heads.

After 5 years of dreaming:

Finally built up my '68 SS Convertible's 396.  I used
Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, Crane Cam #286, Forged
aluminum pistons and Scat steel rods, and a steel crank
shaft (4 bolt mains).  The intake is a matched oval port
Edelbrock Aluminum "Air Gap" manifold.

I'm using 100 cc heads, and told the engine is developing
9.5 to 1 conservatively-9.45.  Somewhere in there.  (That
doesn't sound very technical but that's what I was told.).

The engine was origional '68.  It's .060 over.

12" 1LE Camaro Z-28 front slotted disks w/ Caprice SW
spindles, Global West bushings, and quick turn ratio GB.
A BeCool aluminum radiator keeps things quite cool.  Eaton
Posi & Hotchkis 1 inch lowered springs, KYB shocks, and a
4 link suspension with a 7/8" sway bar get the HP to the
rear wheels.

The a/c and 6 speed will be a dream for The Future!

(Yes, I know rectangular aluminum heads would be better
choice but I didn't have the extra $250. for another intake.)
I already had the oval port intake situation w/ origional oval
port iron heads FROM BEFORE.  Expensive build up cost way
over $6200. that the shop charged me over the cost of crank,
rods and other parts I brought them.

Horsepower was dyno'd at 310 @ the rear wheels.  A
guestimate at flywheel was figured at about 390-400HP.
They figure +22% loss through the driveshaft & differential.

Southard Machine of Bronson, FL did the machining work
and afterwards Rollins Automotive in Gainesville, FL did
the assembly.  It took almost 5 months turn-around-time.

After rebuild I expected 425-450 horsepower at the flywheel.
I was surprised at the lower horsepower rating than what I
was expecting.  I was told by Rollins  that the exhaust was
too restrictive and my Holly 670, while a good street carb,
was too small and a 750 DBL PUMPER would be a much
better choice for performance.

The subject of a numerically lower rear end gear was NOT
discussed because this is a street car and gas is expensive
enough at 12 miles to the gallon.  Awwww, if only I had a
six speed or a Gear Vendor Overdrive Unit!!

The pipes were too narrow, the mufflers too restrictive,
and my left side ceramic coated aluminum header (an
old Dynomax unit from before they were discontinued)
should be replaced because it had at least 30% restriction
from making hard contact with driveway humps, and tall
speed bumps, etc.

I was told if I change out the headers for some Hooker
Headers, get a good 3" exhaust from Pypes Performance,
and change out my 670 for a 750 Holley I could be making
a good 40 more horsepower at the rear wheels.

The car is easy to drive now.  It's not like I have traction
problems unless I want to.  Also, passing can be done with
confidence.  Rather than wondering whether the slacker in
the lowered turbo Eclipse is going to speed up to avoid my
being able to pass him only to slow down to stay in front
as an offensive--That sort of thing no longer happens.  My
Chevelle comes on so strong that MOST "would be racers"
don't even try beyond the first peddle mashing effort.  I still
won't try a late Formula Firebird (T/A), Z-28 or Corvette,
BUT I"M HAPPY WITH WHAT I GOT HERE. Except for one
little thing:

Even the stock 375 HP 396 GM starter isn't good enough.

My problem is after the car heats up to operating temperature
I can't get it started until it cools back down.  I am told I need
to get a "high torque" starter.  What kind would you guys
reccomend?  How much should that cost?  RJ or anyone else,
if you want more details about the engine build up you could
write me an email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

WOULD A HEAT SHIELD HELP TOO!!?

Thanks for whatever you could tell me!

John Warburton