Jerry,
         Based on your question I'm assuming the key won't come out of the column when you're putting the car into reverse and shutting off the ignition. If that's the case, take the hair pin out of the base of the steering column  (under the hood ) and then go inside the car and manually roll the shift bowl on the steering column to a point where the key comes out. I'd temporarily mark the column with a piece of tape to hold the adjustment and go back under the hood and find out how far off you are. You may find that the linkage may be installed incorrectly or is just way out of adjustment.

Another piece of trivia that I'd like to mention is that 4 spd column and automatic floor shift columns are not the same. The lever arm at the base of the column is shorter on 4 spd columns and you will not be able to adjust the difference out.

Good luck....

Donnie