I can see 3 or 4 pumps of the pedal in some cases, but I don't think I need
more than two in any case.  I don't think I could crank the car to get 15
pumps of the gas pedal without it starting long long before I could get that
far.

When the car has sat for a week or longer, it takes a few cranks and pumps
of the pedal, but after sitting overnight it never needs more than one pump,
and if sitting for a few hours it starts without a pump and in the first
revolution of the engine.

I would think a check of your fuel and spark systems would be in order if
you need more than 3 or 4 pumps of the gas pedal to get started in all but
the worst conditions.

When my fuel pump went out two years ago, the car started and drove just
fine, and then it flat out died in the street on the way home from work one
day.  The pushrod was fine.  Something internal on the pump failed, but
luckily no gas ended up in the oil pan.  You might want to change the oil
just to be safe, with starter fluid being used and the possibility of gas
getting into the oil if the pump failed internally.

Brad Waller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

'66 Corvette | 327/dead | 4-speed   | Wilwood Brakes | 245/45/16 BFG R1
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes  | 275/40/17 Kumho MX