I like your thinking.   Your son will certainly appreciate the ( or whatever) if he has some sweat equity in it.

On 9/1/05, Richard M. Pruett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To put a different spin on this thread, I bought a 1960 IHC pick up for my
15 1/2 year old to learn to drive on.

Couple of reasons for this;

1) Got a great deal on this one owner truck
2) It's tough as rawhide; solid thick metal all around.
3) It's cool to drive.
4) He'll have to learn to drive w/ a clutch; 1 out of 1000 kids these days.
5) Can't fit more than 2 kids in legally at a time; only two seatbelts.
6) Reduced insurance for an older vehicle.
7) Wherever he goes, someone will recognize that truck.
8) And did I mention it's cool to drive?

I know, I know, no airbags!!! Most of his driving for the next 2 years will
be on the back roads in Virginia so I feel OK with this.

The real bonus to this scenario is that we can work on it and do it
together! We're deciding what color to paint it; leaning towards yellow like
Herb's Camino or Baby Blue, the original color.

There is nothing like rust and grease to bring father and son/daughter
together!

Rich