-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Chuck Hanson
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 3:39 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] gen light on - open to suggestions

on 9/20/05 1:51 PM, John Nasta at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just had the alternator tested and it is putting out 14 volts at the
> battery even with the headlights and the generator light on (and the
> wipers). The battery was also load tested and it seems to be fine. So, I
> don't seem to have a bad alternator or a bad battery, yet the generator
> light comes on when the headlights are on. I have HEI and an internal
> regulator, and M&H built the engine harness & forward lamp harness for
that
> setup. I have a total of 4 wires connected to the alternator. Two go into
> the plastic clip, and I assume those must be right. The other two both go
> into the rubber boot and are attached to the post at the back of the
> alternator. Does that sound correct? Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> John Nasta

It's easy to get the bulb receptacles mixed up and in the wrong holes on the
back of the gauge cluster, John.  I noticed similar symptoms on a couple of
my '69s too, except that it was for the oil pressure warning light at the
bottom of the cluster.  Check to see that the warning light bulb for your
charging system doesn't have a grey wire coming out of it.  Grey wires are
for the dash lights, and if they've been inadvertently switched it might
explain why you have an alternator warning light ONLY when the headlights
are on or the dash lights are illuminated.

It's not real easy to see up in there behind the dash sometimes, and if you
end up taking the gauge carrier out of the dash for a better look, you may
as well replace all your bulbs and spend a little time cleaning the gauge
lens.  It'd also be a good time to clean the gauges faces with a "blow
brush" like the kind photographers use to clean their lenses... You can pick
one up inexpensively at most photo supply stores.  It's amazing how much
brighter everything looks with a clean lens, gauge faces, and new bulbs!

Hope this helps!

Chuck Hanson