Hydraulic rollers are the way to go if you've got the extra money. More lift and the valves can be held closed or open for a more optimal length of time to facilitate filling/emptying the chambers. In other words, the steepness of the lobe incline can be more radical because the roller lets the parts move against one another without friction. The BIG payoff is in lift and lobe shape and maximum air/fuel charge in the cylinder. There is just no arguing with it.

Hydraulic flat is next best, IMHO, and is what I went with on my 402 build. I used Edelbrock oval port heads and a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy grind and I'm pickled tink over it. It runs and sounds outstanding (it had THE best idle lope I have ever heard in a car that is driveable - positively gnarly). I've been very happy with my choice but, that said, if I had it to do over again, I'd go the extra dough and get rollers. THere's just something about all the rotating hardware on bearings that makes perfect sense to my wee little dinasaur brain. Compared to rollers, flat tappets seem, well, so 70's...

craig E
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:57 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Lifters 101

Can someone reply with a brief tutorial on lifters? I'm getting ready to start assembling my 396, and I'd like your opinions on the pros and cons of each of the following:

hydraulic flat
hydraulic roller
mechanical flat
mechanical roller

In my specific case, I'm looking to build a reliable driver I can use on the Power Tour next year, but take to the track for a bit of fun now and then. Money is an issue, but I wouldn't mind spending a bit more if I can pick up some ponies along the way...

Thanks,
Larry Shouse