What Pelle said.  Before changing the booster because it MAY be bad, isolate it.  Either put a vacumn pump/gauge directly on the booster or plug it and see if it runs OK.

The swap is reasonably straight forward.   You can disconnect the M/C from it without breaking the hydraulic lines.  You need to make sure that when you reconnect the push rod on the brake pedal arm that you put it in the same hole.

Also its been several years, but when I replaced the booster I found that it was about the same price to buy a booster with M/C.   Now I have a spare M/C.