From: Bob Haggard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> The subject came up on the Nova list that Pontiac Tempest had a 1 year only
> front engine rear transmission linked together with a torque tube in 1963 but
> dropped the design in 64.  Anyone know why?  I think they made the right
> decision to go with a conventional rear suspension shared with other BOP&C
> products but no one knows the details.

The '61-63 Tempest was a unibody and used the rear transaxle.  There
were a few minor problems with it (body flex, driveshaft noise) but
because the Tempest shared the Corvair's swing axle suspension there
were problems with marketing and the public's perception of the car, too.
Converting to a more conventional design also meant that stronger
transmissions could be used as well.

Speaking of Tempests, list member Mike Holleman and his trophy-winning
'64 are featured in one of the current Pontiac magazines...Mike, did
you win at the POCI national convention in Greenville SC this year?
Congratulations!

Brad