From: Clint Hooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 4:33 PM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Brakes

The larger diameter rotor you have,the more mechanical advantage it has and
more heat absorbing/rejection capability,all else being equal. One of the
big reasons larger diameter wheels came into being was the ability to
utilize larger diameter rotors & bigger calipers. Ever noticed the front
brake systems on a new Z06 or Viper? Yep, 14" rotors with six piston
calipers.
Actually,I think you might have misunderstood what Wilwood said about
drilled & slotted rotors. Holes and slots actually reduce the swept braking
area of a rotor and drilled holes are prone to cracking under racetrack
conditions. Cast-in holes are less prone to do this as Brembo will tell you.
However,I've been running drilled rotors on many street vehicles,for many
years,without ever having to replace a rotor due to cracks. The key word
here is "street",not on a racetrack. The main reason for drilled & slotted
rotors is aesthetics.
Another advantage of 17" and larger diameter wheels is the ability to run
ultra high performance tires. There just isn't anything available in 15's
and 16's. Great brakes are worthless without great tires. Since you will
need the larger diameter wheels to clear the bigger rotors,buy the larger
rolling stock first and install some sticky wider tires.(no 1960's widths
here) This addition along with your Hydraboost system will make for  pretty
decent stoppers. Your 72 can handle some large rolling stock.
Clint Hooper
H&H Custom,owner
1969 El Camino ProTourer
2001 H-D FLHR custom bagger