Here is a calculator for figuring engine speed

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 2 questions

Hi Ryan,

Even more important than the gear ratio is engine RPM at a given speed.  60 MPH is popular because it is also Revolutions Per Mile.

My 1965 Malibu SS with 14" wheels, Powerglide and 3.31:1 gears (it's an A/C car) turns about 3000 RPM at 60 MPH.  Much more desirable for use on the highway would be 1800 to 2200 RPM at 60.

Dennis