Title: Message

Kumho doesn’t list the EXACT 335/35/17 tire Clint has but rather a new, lighter tire of the same size.  Their website actually lists two models of 335/35/17 tires and they measure one at 26” diameter and the newer model at 26.2”.  What the speedometer indicates is immaterial since the actual speed is calculated by engine RPM, tire size, and rear gear ratio – assuming your tires are correctly inflated, don’t ‘grow’ at 100+ mph and your tachometer is dead-on to the exact RPM (not a likely event either), and there’s no slippage in the drive train.

And it depends on which formula you use I suppose.  Two I’ve found are:

1. (rpm x tire dia) / (gear ratio * 336) and at 6000 RPM * 26.0” tire (156,000) divided by 4.11 x 336 (138.96) yields 112.9649.

2. (tire dia x rpm x rear gear) / .002975 and that one yields 112.9197.

Substituting a 26.2” tire for a 26” tire gives 113.8339 and 113.7883 respectively.  Depending on how the online calculator rounds the result…Suffice to say it’s faster than you’re allowed to go on most U.S. highways. <G>

Dale McIntosh

67 El Camino

1967 Chevelle Reference CD now available!

ACES #1709/TC Gold #92