Rob,

I bought a set of those "sockets" from Sears that are made to bite into the head as you try to loosen the bolt. It worked great. It works better if you can use some sort of penetration oil like PB Blaster, and let it soak for a while, or if you can heat the area first with a torch. Careful - and good luck.

Larry Shouse
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:15 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Exhaust Manifold Bolt Removal

I have a question for the list that is not specifically Chevelle related, but is chevy related nonetheless.  I'm removing the exhaust manifolds from a 1995 Chevy 454 engine to install headers.  The passenger side manifold bolts came out with the help of an impact wrench.  On the driver side, I've got all but three bolts loose.  I stopped when one of the tough bolts started to round out.  Now I need to remove the bolt, but cannot get a grip with a socket.  I think Craftsman makes something that will grip even a rounded bolt head, so I'll give that a try, but thought I'd ask whether anyone has any advice on removing these last three bolts.  Any tips to remove the bolt that has started to round?  How about just removing the stubborn bolts?  Should I heat them first?  Any tips that have worked for you in the past will be appreiated.  Thanks.

Rob S.
1966 Chevelle
SS 396 Convertible