Mike, what you say is true. Although I agree with John that doing something to stop water from leaking in is way better than doing nothing at all, using silicone is not the answer. As well as the difficulty in removing the product when a true repair is done, the caustic effect of silicone on steel is reason enough not to use it. There are a number of sealers out there that will provide a temporary leak stop without the problems silicone can cause.

Bill Vander Werf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Holleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Package Tray - 69 Chevelle

John, I hope I didn't offend you with my " no silicone comments. That was not my intention. Silicone is a bodyman's nightmare. In any form, spray or adhesive in a tube in can cause major trouble to the guy that is doing a repaint. It gets into the pores of the metal and defys you to get it out. Then after painting it will cause flaws and lifting. The guy that does my paint work has a fit if he sees silicone in my building. I would suggest using Urethane winshield sealant instead to stop your leaks around the seal. And only new metal should be used to repair the rust holes.
FWIW
Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Nasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:58 AM

p.s. I know that my front & rear glass used to leak, and now they don't, and
it only took a thin bead of silicone to seal it, so you might have a hard
time convincing me that I've made anything any worse. The next time those
pieces of glass come out will hopefully be the next time that the car gets
painted, and it will be stripped down for that. I'm not worried about
getting the silicone off. The paint under it will be coming off too.