I can tell you from experience (several times) that if you sink your boat that
is exactly what you need to do as soon as you get it out of the water.  If you
do not have the time to drain the fluids and get it started then they tell you
to leave it submerged till you do have time (fresh water).  The same should be
true for automobiles although a 2-cycle outboard engine is much easier to
service.
Bob Haggard