I’ve taken the battery out of the loop and have a charger box hooked up (one of those big rolling ones) and set it to ‘start’.  Its definitely giving the power.  I clamped the positive to the positive cable that runs straight to the starter, all connections are new.  The negative battery cable terminates on the block and I’ve verified the ground there is ok as well as two from the block to the frame.  I just exchanged the starter so I’m going to see if that does it.

Isn’t it strange though that if I take out the plugs it turns fine or does that just take the load off of it because there is no compression?  (I’m not an engine guy)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

JB

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Clyde
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 5:48 AM
To: The Chevelle Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Starting

Hello:perform voltage drop tests on all starter cables and negative cables,you can use a set of booster cables to check the ground circuit of the car,connect the negative to the battery and the other end to the block,if the car winds over okay,the ground is the problem,you can also do the same with the positive to check the positive side(only if enough clearance),also attempt to start the car with a boost or a good strong battery charger hooked up to the chevelle.Is there any kind of a junction block,on my 69 chevelle there is a plastic junction where the 10 gauge red wire from the battery positive connects to,you can bypass that to see if that helps,other responses have mentioned to check starter and battery,this should also be checked completely as the other members have suggested,also 1 other thing,check the block whrere the starter mounts to make shure it is clean and not rusty,body grounds etc.