Could be you have a leak between the head and manifold/header on that side.

Larry Shouse
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:11 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] Exhaust Tick in my New 350

My 1965 Malibu SS-350 went to the muffler shop to diagnose a ticking noise in the right muffler.  When put on the rack it was obvious the ticking (while idling in drive) can also be heard along the pipe forward of the muffler all the way to the manifold.

I guessed, particularly since the idle is not perfect, was that I was hearing a  badly leaking exhaust valve.  A compression check on the 2-4-6-8 bank shows 135, 140, 130, 140.  This seems too good to have a significant valve leak.

It has a new GMPP Crate Engine with 500 miles since installation and the tick has been there since initial startup.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Dennis McGillis
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS-350