The trick to the GV unit is that 1st over is almost identical to close ratio 2nd gear.  This allows you to hit first over when you would normall grab second, without having to clutch or move the shifter.  Then go to 2nd over at the nest shif, then 3rd over, never actually shifting into 4th, although the ratio in 3rd over is almost 1:1.

While the 4.56s are deep for an ordianry BB, mine's happiest between 4500-7500 rpm.  If I went to the TKO I could put 3.55s back in and still have the same total gear ratio I currently do in first with the 2.20 geared Muncie.  As it is, I'm only going through the lights at about 6000, where I'd like to be closer to 7000.

Devin
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] overdrive thoughts

4.56 cogs are a lot of gear of a big block,unless you're running 1/8" mile. If you run a Gear Vendors unit,the weak link is still the Muncie trans. Not sure how one would allow a clutchless 1-2 shift,though. Herb is more familiar with the GV od unit so maybe he will add his input.
A Tremec TKO-600 would be strong enough but have heard they don't really like to be powershifted at 6500+ rpm. The shifter position probably wouldn't be a problem and very little tunnel work would be required,if any. Cost would be a wash,too. You wouldn't need a 4.56 cog with their ratios,either.
Clint Hooper
H&H Custom,owner
1969 El Camino protourer
http://dalesplace.com/misc/friends/clint/clint_hooper.htm
"You may find me dead one day in a ditch. But by God,you'll find me in a pile of brass."