If the Powerglide is working well, it will be just fine with your crate motor.  I installed a 330 HP/380 Foot pound GMPP crate motor in my 1965 and it is great.  Would I prefer a 700R4?  Sure, but that takes another $2200.
Dennis McGillis
1965 Chevelle Malibu SS-350

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 4:58 AM
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 1967 (283)

I have 283 engine that was in my 1970 chevelle . it runs great. i pulled it to because iam redoing the suspension and i wanted to clean up the engine compartment. now iam thinking about getting a 350 crate engine so i'd like to sell the 283. my car still has the original powerglide trans. so my questions are 1) how much should i ask for the engine. and 2) should i upgrade to a differant trans. and if so what would be a good set up for a weekend cruiser with a tight budget. i'd like to have something with some power but i dont intend on racing it, except maby from one redlight to the next.:) I sure do appriciate any advice. thank you ( Baltimore BOB )