Title: 12 bolt questions

Folks-
I'm not sure if this has been discussed lately, but have any of you installed an early 12-bolt rear (say, 66-67 "A" body" into a later model (68-72 "A" bo
dy) to gain room in the fenderwells for larger rims with less setback/offset? I understand the earlier 12 bolt rears are 1" shorter overall, for 1/2" extra clearance on each side (not sure of the exact year range). I understand that what size rim you run is dependant on the size of the rear fenderwell, and no size rear (smaller or larger) will make the fenderwell bigger. I just like the "deep dish" look of the rear rims, and thought an earlier rear would give me the look I was looking for. Any other pitfalls I should be aware of if I consider such a swap?

Some more info...
I have a 1972 Chevelle Malibu - planning on a mild pro touring/g-machine build, dropped 3" all around, disk brakes on all 4 corners, perhaps an LS1/T56 combo to top it off.

Whatcha think?

T.J. Ringlein
1972 Chevelle (in shambles)
Clovis, California