The cotter pin locking in your wheel bearing is rubbing the dust cap.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of J. Brady
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 8:24 PM
To: Chevelle Group
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 'slightly' off topic- disc brake question.

I have a disc brake question which I'm hoping you guys
can help me with..  Only thing is, the brakes are on
my GMC Sonoma.

Today I did new rotors, wheel bearings (in and out),
seals, and pads on my truck (also did badly needed
front shocks).  Thought since colder weather was on
the way, now was the time..

This is the 2nd time I've done this in the time I've
had the truck (since 2000), and it's the 2nd time I've
had this issue.  With all of the new parts in place, I
went for a test drive.  Overall I can feel
improvement, but from 0-10 and at deceleration, I can
feel what I want to describe as a "ticking" or
"clicking" feeling in the steering wheel.  Again it's
only from 0-10 and at the very end.  The rotors are
brand new, and I know they're not warped b/c it's not
that sensation I'm feeling (I know that one).  I have
noticed tho that on the back of the rotor, where the
inner bearing is seated, there is what I want to call
a 'gear' with teeth that goes all the way around.  I'm
wondering if the ticking I'm feeling in the steering
wheel, is because I have the discs too tight and that
gear is rubbing somewhere?  I was able to spin the
discs after assembly before putting the wheel on by
hand, and they do spin but with some drag (which is
how I thought they were supposed to be).

Other point worth mentioning, I did pack all the new
bearings with fresh grease, and filled the grease
caps, so I don't think it's the bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, b/c it pissed
me off to feel this after spending all day working on
this truck.

Regards,

Jim
'66 Malibu