Title: CAr will absolutely not idle - the sequal

Okay here is volume #3 in the saga for the search of the mystery vacuum leak

Quick recap  - car runs like crap (350/TH350 combo), have diagnosed it as a vacuum leak somewhere on the passenger side of the carb base.

I found a thicker carb gasket at the local parts house and gave that a spin no luck.  The car still appears to have a vacuum leak around the base of the carb on the passenger side where it meets the intake manifold.  A quick spray of carb cleaner makes the RPMs spike about 200-300 RPM so it has been diagnosed.

I pulled the carb again tonight and took a good hard look at it again.  The trick kit I installed did not have a new gasket where the base of the carb attaches to the center section, so I took a look at that area as well.  The gasket looked as if it was old, but otherwise in decent shape.  I took a turn on the 4 phillips head machine screws on the bottom of the carb that attach the base to the main section, and they turned about ¼ of a turn with very little effort.  I turned the 4 screws, and got 3 of them to tighten a bit so that may be where the leak was coming from.

I decided to put a microscopic layer of RTV (1/16) on the carb gasket one layer between the intake and the gasket, another between the carb and the gasket.  I did not see any squeeze out, so I should be okay.  That will dry until tomorrow evening and I will start the car again and see what happens.  I also found that the 2 piece of rubber hose that connects the intake manifold to the lead for the TH350 is less then totally air-tight, so a trip to the parts house again is in order for tomorrow.  Perhaps I will block that off tomorrow and see if the engine works better (someone gave me that advice may just give it a whirl).

I will let you know how it turns out.

TJ Ringlein

Clovis California

72 Chevelle, in shambles

Oh the car seems to run about 150 RPM higher with the air cleaner on.  So I guess I get it where it will run okay, and turn down the idle about ¼ turn before buttoning up the air cleaner.  If there is no gasket between the air cleaner and the carb would that cause some of my engine stumble problems?