Thanks Kevin. I did try other supply houses and all of the alternators are identical but the hole is too small. My car is numbers matching so it is definately a 402.

From:  Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:  Re: [Chevelle-list] Alternator Issue
Date:  Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:19:08 -0800 (PST)

Hello, That Is a Option But First And Formost Make Sure You Have The Right Altenator, You Won't Be The First Nor The Last To Get The Wrong Part. Even If The Book Show"s The Same Number The Printed Number In The Book Could Be Wron. Is There A Chance To Check With Another Parts Supple Place?? Have Them Pull One Off The Shelf And See If Your Bolt Fits.I Am Willing To Bet That Something Is Wrong.Either You Don't Have The Engine You Think You Have Or The Parts Supple House Has The Number Goofed Up Something Isn't Right. You have To Check All Things Out Before Ya Mess With Enlarging The Hole As You Won't Be Able To Take It Back. And If It Isn't For Your Car How Do You Know What Is Is?? How Many Amps Etc. Just Do Alittle Investigation Is What I Am Suggesting.It Don't Cost Anything And You Will Be Sure You Got The Real McCoy!! Hang In There Chev702.

tabius barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello All,

I was replacing my alternator with a new one on my 71 SS 402, and got everything hooked up and when I attempted to insert the long bolt that threads into the engine block, the bolt was too large for the new alternator hole. So i figured the the parts store gave me the wrong alternator, but after trying several different ones at several different auto supply stores, they are all identical and my bolt is too big. Siince obviously using a smaller bolt is not an option (since it threads into the engine block), should i just have the alternator hole machined out since there is no thread in that portion
of the alternator?

Thanks,

Tabius

  Use your PC to make calls at very low rates

Sponsored Link

Try Netflix today! With plans starting at only $5.99 a month what are you waiting for?

Try Search Survival Kits: Fix up your home and better handle your cash with Live Search!