Piston slap

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of J. Brady
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 6:36 PM
To: Chevelle Group
Subject: [Chevelle-list] 327 question

Drove the '66 to work today, and decided to throw this
question out to "the Council":

My car runs great, and the 327 has an aluminum intake,
speed pro 10.5:1 pistons, crane powermax cam
(272/284), Comp Cams roller rockers, and freshly built
camel hump heads with pinned in studs.  Valves have
been redone within the past 2-3 years with MAYBE 1000
miles on them, and I have new valve springs and
retainers (also Crane, to match the cam).

All that being said, it runs great with one small pet
peave..  When I drive the car it runs flawlessly UNTIL
I get to 2000 RPMs on the tach, at which point I hear
a slight "chatter".  That's the only way I can
describe it.  I've heard hung up lifters before, and
that's not the noise- that's a chronic
"tap-tap-tap-tap" (like 1-2-3-4). This, in my best
impression, goes "dadadadadadada" in a much faster
interval, thus the chatter description.  It sounds
like it's on the driver side of the engine, and
happens ONLY at 2K RPMs..  I drop back, it goes away-
I increase throttle PAST 2K RPMs, it goes away.  I
thought maybe it might be something bumping the
dipstick or something stupid like that, so I moved the
dipstick and it still happens.

I don't think it's worth pulling the engine back out
to check, but it's damned frustrating.  Anyone have
any guesses?  I do not have valve guides and I
wondered if it might be that I need them.  Another
note, I had the same noise when I had my 260/272 cam
in it, which I just swapped out to the 272/284 as of
this year.  I thought maybe the disassembly and
reassembly might make it go away (with readjustment of
the valves), but it's still there so I'm guessing it's
lower end noise.  But from where and why ONLY at that
revolution?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
'66 Malibu