I'd tend to agree with Karl. Low vacuum at the booster would create a hard pedal, ie., pressing brake pedal gives a hard feel and no stopping power. A soft pedal, or one that feels mushy, is usually air the lines or master cylinder. I did a quick Google search and found http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/brakes/ques145_8.html among others.
Crane Cams (and probably others) have vacuum canisters to 'store' vacuum for power brakes. Crane's is $50 or so, part #CCA-5200 at Summit. If you have power steering the Hydratech braking system should solve your answers. http://www.hydratechbraking.com might be more than you want to get into but I hear they are a fantastic system. Essentially uses your power steering pressure and fluid instead of engine vacuum. Dale McIntosh 1966/67 Chevelle Reference CDs ACES #1709/TC GOLD #92 -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Karl Groves Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:55 PM To: 'The Chevelle Mailing List' Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Vacuum Canister Its been a while since I ran a monster cam, so I could be imagining things, but my brakes were NOT soft. I ran a 305 (advertised) duration cam in a 355 and the pedal was hard. Not enough vacuum means not enough power assist from the booster. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Karl Groves Master Certified CIW http://www.karlcore.com Grayscale Content Management System: http://www.grayscalecms.com The Hot Rod Classifieds http://www.thehotrodclassifieds.com > -----Original Message----- > From: John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 5:04 PM > To: The Chevelle Mailing List > Subject: [Chevelle-list] Vacuum Canister > > Hi Guys....I did the cam swap and now I only have about 10-11 > inches of vacuum,which isn't enough for my vacuum assist > brakes...They don't feel right ..The pedal is very soft > now...I don't know much about vacuum canisters so am looking > for information..maybe a web link where I can read up and > understand about them..If anyone has info I would greatly > appreciate it...Thanx John Palmer > 66 Malibu > 327 4 speed > > > > _____ avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com> : Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 000733-1, 04/13/2007 Tested on: 4/13/2007 5:18:54 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.

