Not all manufacturer's distributors and vacuum advance work the same-  with
most GM V8's the distributor is at the back of the block and the  distributor
shaft rotates clockwise.  The vacuum advance is on the left  side of the
distributor and when vacuum is applied, it pulls the pick up coil in  a
counter-clockwise direction(against spring pressure) and advances the  timing.
When
vacuum is removed from the vacuum advance, spring  pressure returns the pick up
coil to its original position and timing  is returned to initial plus
mechanical
advance.

That is why on a non-computer controlled Chevy V8 you need to use a ported
vacuum source- which will be above the throttle blades- for the vacuum
advance.  Vacuum to operate the advance is created by airflow through the
carb- as
rpm's increase, ie: you accelerate quickly- the increased airflow  through the
carb creates vacuum, pulls on the vacuum advance, rotates the pick  up coil,
and advances the timing.  Under load, manifold vacuum  decrease.  So, if you
were to hook up to a manifold vacuum port- a source  below the throttle blades-
timing would be fully advanced at cruise rpm and  as soon as you mashed the
throttle, as in to pass someone, timing would  retard.

Hook a vacuum gauge to different ports on the carb.  At idle, a ported
vacuum source will have very little to no vacuum.  As you increase  engine
speed,
vacuum should increase.  A manifold vacuum  source at idle, will have full
vacuum.  As engine speed  increases, vacuum will decrease.

I don't know which of the other manufacturers distributors work the same; I
have heard that some F**ds work differently.  I don't own a F**d so I can't
say from experience.  Hope this helps...

Eric