Howdy - I have been lurking somewhat intermittently because of several trips
for Uncle Sam this summer, the last of which ending about 2 weeks ago.
Turns out that the Air Force may want to move me about a year from now, so I
had to kick up the project a notch.  Goal is to get it into paint this time
next year, so the chassis needs to be done before that time.
A little recap.
The 72 was my first car, got it back in 1987 when I was only 15.  Typical
story here, first dates, movies, drunken parties, college, and the kicker -
the 10 years it spent parked under my fathers deck after I joined the
service.  Fast forward to 2006.  I get reassigned close to home, so I take
the opportunity to get it running again, drive it around a bit, get the body
work done (looks great in primer) and start planning for the chassis
refurbishment.  Car will be a "pro-touring" type weekend driver and local
show car when completed.
Well, the car is stripped from the firewall forward, minus the engine.  This
weekend was busy, but it is nearly ready to have the LS2 and T56 dropped in
next week at a local shop.  From what I have seen so far, the frame looks
like it is completely rust free.  The mounts for the radiator support are
completely factory perfect, as I suspected it would be on a lifetime
California car.  If the rest of the frame is that nice, it should be in for
galvanizing and powder coat mid-October.  I will be posting periodically to
let everyone know how it is going.
Wish me luck - I feel like I am in over my head.

Tom Ringlein
Clovis, California