HP and better mileage.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of chevelle292wagon
dejazzd.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:04 PM
To: chevelle-list@chevelles.net
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] 283 balancer?

From: "Jim H. Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:20 pm

 Waste of time. Same balancer used on 283,327,307. You have a
> small journal crank. Unless the rubber insulator ring is shot.

I suggest the Chevy 327/350 hyd (Crane cam WG996K grind151H) cam
> swap if your pulling the intake and balancer.

Replacement
> factory ID #3563151 for 325 or 350 HP engines. Call Summit they have a cam
kit
> for as low as $89. PAW and Powerhouse have kits also.

> How many miles on the engine?

Jim,
Thanks for the post.
The thing is, with the 283-2 barrel engines, there was no balancer.
It just has a hub to provide a place to bolt the pulleys to.
 (The 4 barrel 283s, 327s, and the sixes all had actual balancers.)
Hard to imagine this seemed like a good idea to Chevrolet engineers; the
accountants probably liked it though.
Not sure what years or models had this setup.

btw: This engine only has 35,000 miles on it.(99% sure that's for real)
I'm just planning on cleaning it up, replace the valve seals, and do the
usual tune-up items.
Since the exhaust is rusty, its the right time to do the duals.
Then might as well put the 4 barrel on it too.

Pete