I am buying a 67 Chevelle SS396 and I will need a rear anti-sway bar..I
looked up Hotckis and they have a 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 inch bar..Which do you
think would work the best on a stock car?...Thanks for yor time. Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dale
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 8:20 PM
To: 'The Chevelle Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Please help! Sway bar information

Your Chevelle does have a front sway bar, all Chevelles do as probably
most
rear wheel cars do - not a suspension guru.  Sway bars are designed to
reduce body roll when turning.  Engine size/horsepower has nothing to do
really with it although higher horsepower cars that the mfg. figured
would
be 'driven' a bit harder than usual include larger front bars plus the
additional rear bar.

To see good pros and cons, check Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar and maybe the article at
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm will help some.

If you plan on tossing the car around from side to side in say a slalom
course or drive a lot of winding roads where control is the ultimate
objective, then by all means a larger front and additional rear bar is a
good investment.

Dale McIntosh
ChevelleCD.com
ChevelleStuff.com

GP
> superstore is giving a 20% discount on Hotchkis parts. Also, some car
> owners have suggested that OPGI has good heat treated sway bars.  Does
any
> one know of these bars being worth the buy?
>
> I use my 1970 chevelle as a street driver car, which has a 350 engine,
350
> tranny, rebuilt 12 bolt 3.47 non-posi rear end, with some high
performance
> parts here and there. I bought the lower box rear control arms from
Ground
> Up.  Most of the front suspension is of Moog parts and have front and
rear
> Hotchkis springs with KYB shocks up front and Monroe shocks at rear.
My
> car never sees the track, since it's not built as a racing car.
However,
> if it helps, later on I will beef up the engine to a 383 in the
future.

> I have never had that experience driving with any sway bar, front or
rear,
> that I don't know how it feels. Some people say it's better and you
can
> really feel the difference than without one. Some also say to never
drive
> on the streets without one. I don't have one and I drive on the
streets
> all the time. I mean, I do feel that "lean" feel on the car that
people
> talk about. So, should I invest in a pair of sway bars after all? I'm
all
> for any improvments in my driving handling.  Bottom line, can anyone
> please point me in the right direction with specific choices in
helping me
> choose the right combination of size for the front and rear sway bars
and
> what brand out of many is the best for me? It will be highly
appreciated.
> thanks
> -Eddie
>
> --
> Got No Time? Shop Online for Great Gift Ideas!
> http://mail.shopping.com/?linkin_id=8033174

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 080107-0, 01/07/2008
Tested on: 1/7/2008 8:17:58 PM